Sunday, January 8, 2017

My Highlights 2k16: Less Egypt, More Awesome!

I am a classic oversharer, and I repeat myself a lot. Today's a good day, so why wouldn't I? In fact, I even wrote this last week when everything was different, but in order to write about that I need to breathe a bit first. So for now, I'll keep indulging in memories: good memories, bad memories, there is only so and so much I should really be saying about all of my feelings, and I, of course, usually cross the line. Many people are mad at me because I share everything that happens to me, or at least that's what they think. Then we also have the people that disagree with me and, hence, dislike me. Altogether, writing about my life, my feelings and, more than ever, my political disappointment, has made many people criticize me. Now, in 2017, where I'll be writing professionally a bit more than for leisure purposes this will only get worse, and I guess I just made the decision I don't really care. This is my space, and I like sharing. I like talking about all the good and bad things that happen to me. And so, for my own pleasure, I decided to crown my favorite moments of the past year. Overshare? Yes... but it's just life to me...

I saw the freaking Kremlin, I can die happy now... 

Yep, that's the Kremlin right there... 
The year started out with being in Moscow, and I can't stop thinking back to it now that it has been one short year. I still remember everything, from getting off the plane trying to find the bus at Sheremetyevo to taking the train, buying mango chips on the way to the airport to leave. Clearly being one of my favorite destinations to ever visit, the addition of all that snow (even the correlating temperatures) and the fact I flew back to Egypt where I was back at the beach the day after made it one of the weirdest experiences of my life. I wouldn't know if I had loved being there as much if I had been in different company, but even after the rest of the year I still liked looking back to being in Moscow and only have good memories, despite wishing I had made that experience with other people. But adding everything up, and I neither know why nor need to know, finally visiting Russia was definitely one of my highlights 2016, or even of my entire life.

I also saw Princess Elza and finally rode Space Mountain again... like 10 times... 

Mike is checking me out...
Do I really need to explain? The weekend I had in Paris was definitely one of my highlights. The company there was outstanding, and I just enjoyed being in France so much. After all these years of anticipating to return to Disneyland I wasn't let down, and we all know that anticipation is the express lane to being disappointed. Neither the weird weather nor the fact I missed the Christmas parade put any strains on my day at Disney, and I have tears in my eyes thinking back to it. But not just that, but the whole time in Paris, was so wonderful it makes me want to have one of those things Albus Dumbledore uses to save his memories, because I never want to forget the sunset at Montmartre, Camille knocking over a pot dancing for us, and playing Boule in front of the Bataclan, even though these things would slip people's memories. Not mine. For as long as I live.

I left Egypt for good... and didn't go back!

In 2016 I finally left Egypt, and I'm not gonna pretend it was hard. I know, Cairo is full of people who "hate and love Egypt", and I have no problem with them loving all the mess and craziness, but I wasn't a fan, at any given moment. Obviously, my life in Egypt was great, and I'm not a hypocrite for saying I didn't like living there while I had it so good. All I know is I had no problem leaving and never regretted it. Especially most people's reception towards me after I left, which shocked me at first, but very quickly turned into indifference and then even ridicule, made it even easier. With it came the lesson that criticism from people you may like but fundamentally disagree with (and in this particular instance even find embarrassing) isn't constructive, so why take it seriously? In a year of trying to discuss with Trump voters, the hate I received from people in Egypt was a great way to warm up my fingers. And in the end, even in moments I was hurt by it, I didn't have to care because I'm not in Egypt anymore and am way, way happier now, so it quite simply doesn't matter...

I dropped a few pounds and had to buy a new wardrobe (poor me!)

When I first returned to Germany I knew what was going to happen: it would be torture to find new friends, it would be boring as hell even if I found any, and I would be spending a lot of time by myself. After having enjoyed my solitude in Egypt massively, that didn't sound too bad to me right away. I did, however, fear that summer would just pass me by because I wasn't too keen on hanging out as much. I wanted to be outside, enjoy the green of my beautiful home country, and get rid of that terrible Cairo air in my lungs. So I started running. Soon my interest in running became a revelation: I don't wanna live without running. I hated running just as much as everyone else, but I loved seeing the green, breathing, being exhausted when jumping in a refreshing shower. After a few short weeks, I didn't even hate running anymore. And now I'm skinny. I had to donate most of my clothes and bought new stuff that would clearly not be a prudent fashion choice in Egypt, and turns out that made me pretty happy...

I didn't get a dog but my cat Charlotte was the next best thing... 

In January, while I was in Russia, my flatmate sent me a picture of a cat he found and asked me if I wanted to keep her. I wasn't a cat person, but I certainly didn't mind. Little did I know that in the following few weeks she would become the best. When I say "the best", you may ask yourself what kind of best: best cat? Best friend? Best thing to ever happen to me? The answer is all of the above. I hung out with Charlotte a lot because suddenly, staying home with hot chocolate or a glass of wine was no longer a thing I would do "alone" so I felt less bad for it. The truth was, and is, that I just enjoyed watching her purr on my lap more than going to some parties where I was bathing in cigarette smoke, so I ended up not going anymore. What's making it worse is that my cat Charlotte is the most adorable cat in the world. She is crazy cute, and now a year later I still "awww" every day I see her. She's made me very happy this year so she's definitely the best thing to come out of this year. It will kill me to leave her with my mom, her new BFF, but I'll write her every day... ok, no, I know, too far... 

No comments:

Post a Comment