Tuesday, June 11, 2019

"It Is What It Is": Even Love Island Can Teach You Things

Oh, there are so many word jokes I could make to start off this post. Anything with "cracking on" or "loyal" works. But the bottom line is, I'm just happy Love Island is back on the screen. This might be an unpopular opinion but it is my job to analyse pop culture, so even if I didn't enjoy watching it, there's no way I wouldn't. For those who simply believe Love Island is a show devoid of substance, full of superficiality and with no value to society, I say - so what? People enjoy it, and I do, too. And even in this seemingly senseless program I found lessons for myself. And actually, the show's language is to blame for that.

The first couple hasn't even hit the Hideaway yet but the tagline of this year has already been decided on. "It is what it is" is this year's sentence soon to be found on myriad Primark shirts. I hated that expression before the show and now that I see in what ridiculous context it has been absolutely staged to appear on the show, I hate it more. Joe even said "it was what it was" last night and I almost cried. No, lads, it isn't what it is. When has this sentence ever been useful?

I guess it makes sense to say "it is what it is" when you seriously couldn't care one bit less, and I would assume that applies to most people in the Love Island villa. They came for love - and fame. But mostly, for the fame. So, when Molly-Mae doesn't like them back, they are arguably more upset about the prospect of being dumped from the biggest show in the country rather than being 20, super good-looking and single. So yeah, maybe things are what they are but those who really care would never use this bullshit sentence. Maybe that's why I have never - until just now.

To be facing rejection from someone you are interested in should probably generate a different response. How are these people so chill about being turned down by someone they are interested in? It's not what it is; it's shit, and annoying, and maybe unfair - pick your adjective. Or better, consider doing something about it. The attitude of these islanders, but really of the whole earthly population, to just go "it is what it is" when things ask for a response is making me go anything but "it is what it is". It makes me want to speak to every one of them individually and tell them to step it up.

I know, I know, it's cool to be cool. We all want to seem so chill, nothing can phase us. "Me, liking you?", they might as well say, "are you crazy?" Actually expressing to somebody how interested you are in them has never been a weakness, yet that entire house says it to a camera guy only. To anyone but the person they like, it seems. And rejection doesn't phase them because, lo and behold, that could make them seem vulnerable or less in control. Funnily enough, that would maybe result in them being liked back.

For me, watching Love Island is a fun little window in how much it sucks to be young. I pity every single person entering the villa. They're so young and clueless. I know, of course, because I was even dumber and more clueless at their age. I didn't know "my type". What I know now, though, is that "the type" is a construct in their head that will impede their success at love rather than help it. Also, I cannot believe they think the type "bad boy" will actually work out for them. "Bad" is not a good word, ladies, or my branding these days is off. But maybe they will learn while they are on the show - and I'm here for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment