Sunday, December 8, 2019

Travel Pro Tip #X: Duty Free Saves My Skin

“I want a job that lets me travel!” You’ve heard the sentence. And if your life has gone in any way like mine, you laugh inside every time someone says it. There were times in my life where I, too, loved traveling. Those days are definitely in the past. Also, work travel isn’t holiday. You almost never see any of the places unless you really try, and that in turn is exhausting. “Exhausting” is the only word I can think of, by the way, when thinking of any sort of air travel. But, God damn it, I live on an island, and so every time I go anywhere for work, I have to get on a plane. I hate flying so much, my two “holidays” this year so far were booked to Dorset and Scotland. As flying, airports and general travelness had taken a toll on me, I had to come up with something that would make it better. Enter my airport beauty routine: I do facials at Duty Free - FOR FREE!

Yes, you read that right. I go to Duty Free shops and, depending on time, go through their entire range. Hanging out at the airport is one of the worst things to do, and whatever you do, you always look horrible after a day of traveling - unless you do it like me and test the most expensive, extravagant beauty products. None of that is forbidden. In fact, if I really loved something, of course I’d buy it. Well, to be completely honest that’s probably a lie because I do test the whole La Prairie range which would have a combined value of almost a thousand pounds - and that is not happening. But man, is it good.

Last week, when flying to Dublin, I arrived 20 minutes before gate closure. That is enough time for my favorite routine: Lancome Absolue X Rose Cleanser, then Tonic, the eye serum and cream as well as the Absolue X light serum and day cream (or night, depending on the time, of course). After I went through it, I did a little stop at Mac to test some lipgloss and the Mac lady literally said: “You’ve got great skin, you look like you just had a facial!” I kid you not, that really happened. I mean, that whole range is about 500 dollars so I better look that way. I told her, I kind of did just have a facial. 

Sometimes, when I am super early, like on today’s flight to Warsaw, I do a little face mask as well. Not all of them are clear, so sometimes I take a little amount in my hand and apply it in the bathroom. A really nice Sisley one called Black Rose I liked a lot costs 90 pounds, so that’s actually a great value treatment right there. One time, on International Women’s Day leaving Geneva, the store assistant literally helped me apply it. “You deserve to be spoiled”, she said. If the product she was applying hadn’t been 156 pounds I would have loved to buy it just for the major sales job she did. But I don’t have that kind of money.

The truth is, without the full range of Shiseido currently on me, I would be looking rather tired right now. But the range is called Cellular Renewal and everything I applied has a combined value of over 250 pounds. Other than Clinique and Clarins, I have found most of the products worth the money though. Sure, I can’t afford them, but if I could and would apply them every day I can definitely see myself looking like JLo at 50. Until I can afford them, I will keep testing, so when my investments take off and I actually become richer I will know what to get, right away. Today’s Cellular Renewal Mask for 84 Euros will be top of the list. Thank you for saving my teint, duty frees of this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment