Sunday, May 11, 2014

My Top 50 favorite songs of all time!

My old friend Pat came up with this awesome idea of making a Top 50 of all my favorite songs. He introduced the idea to me in 2008, having made his own Top 50 in the year and a half prior, and it took me almost a year to come up with mine. I am not hugely into music. Of course I like a good tune but I wouldn't call myself an enthusiast. In fact, since I made my Top 50 I have largely stopped listening to any other songs but those 50. What makes a favorite song? For me it was the ability to listen to it without being annoyed past the first few weeks after release. It turned out, however, that songs get to be my favorite without being good. The majority of my Top 50 would not make it on just that list today. It is the connecting memory I have to most songs that makes me like to listen to them for weeks, sometimes months, in these cases years. I revised my list over the years and remained with these songs and memories.


  1. Haerts- Wings This song recently became number one after I realized I've been listening to it every day for a year without getting tired of it. 
  2. Alphaville – Forever Young First song I remember being my favorite so it takes me back to being 4, arguably the best memory a person could have. Besides, the evanescence of youth makes a good song. 
  3. Bronski Beat – Smalltown Boy (Acoustic)
  4. Christmas Canon
  5.  MGMT – Electric Feel
  6. Frank Ocean – Thinking about you Other than being an incredible song it reminds me of summer 2013 which was the best I ever had.
  7. The shins – New Slang 
  8. aHa - The sun always shines on TV
  9. Lion King – Kann es wirklich Liebe sein
  10. Gigi d’Agostini – L’amour Toujours
    I want to walk down the aisle to this in my techno wedding one day... 
  11. Sam Cooke - Bring it on home to me
  12. Lord Huron - The night we met
    I know quite well how it is to have a night of significance. This song is everything I felt when I first heard it. 
  13. Keane – Try again On my 18th birthday I was driving home through the countryside at night when it started snowing and this song was on. One of the best moments of my life. The song stuck...
  14. Band of Horses – The Funeral In October 2008 this song randomly came on when I was sitting on a bench in front of the city hall in Denver, CO. That day I was very happy...
  15. Lana del Rey – Bel-Air One of the few songs I get negative memories with. I was hardly ever feeling as bad as I was in December 2012 when I was in Israel. The Newtown shooting had happened a few days prior. I was sitting in the old city of Jerusalem, listening to this song, and had to start crying. 
  16. Kygo - It Aint Me
  17. Mumford and Sons – Below my Feet This song is a prayer!
  18. Haim – Don’t save me I can't tell why this song is so awesome but it's different and it reminds me of my favorite job ever, being a waitress at Ketchup, rocking out with Beth and Geri to this...
  19. UB 40 - Red Red Wine This is a song that reminds me of my friend Jake who I love. I went to see him in London one time and he only had this song on a CD so we put it on and listened to it all night. 
  20. Paolo Nutini- Jenny don’t be hasty Who could have known that the lyrics of this song will become so relevant to me when I saw Paolo in March 2007? These days, I'm Jenny...
  21. The Radio Department - Strange things will happen
    I was obsessed with this song from the day I heard it in a hostel in Iceland. A day later Richard told me he would be leaving the job, being my only friend there. It started off a very weird time that I am nostalgically still obsessed with or was for a long time. 
  22. Regina Spektor – Samson "You are my sweetest downfall, I loved you first!" Unfortunately, for a long time, I knew exactly what she was singing about
  23. Burning Hearts - Into the Wilderness
  24. David Gray – This year’s love
  25. The Panics – Don’t fight it My first week in Dundee I was hanging out with this guy one night after a party and we were talking for like 7 hours. Then he put this song on. I was in love (with the song but later, obviously, with him as well)
  26. Braveheart – Sad Theme Perfect song set in the perfect country!
  27. Paolo Nutini – Autumn Another bad memory. After my dad passed away this was my alarm clock for weeks, resulting in me having a casual cry to start the day with every day.
  28. Blümchen – Herz an Herz
  29. Mumford and Sons - Winter Winds This song came on when I was driving to my friend Tina's funeral. It fit the day like a glove.
  30. Coldplay - Paradise This was my favorite song when I first started dating my ex-boyfriend. The beginning of that experience was pretty awesome, I love to think back to that (the end, not so much!)
  31. Fun. - Some Nights In Summer 2013 a boy I liked came to visit me from Scotland. One day, my friends Conor and Becca also came to visit from Brussels. The day we all hung out in my hometown was one of the best days of my life. It was super sunny, warm and we were driving to a party with the windows down, shouting along to this song. Sweet, sweet memory!
  32. Apocalyptica – Bittersweet
  33. Mumford and Sons - After the Storm
  34. Leona Lewis - I see you
  35. Sebastian Ingrosso, Axwell - Leave the world behind Summer 2011 memories: India and Ibiza where this song obviously rocked!
  36. Alicia Keys – Try sleeping with a broken heart I was in love with a guy "a million miles away" and imagined "I'd still feel him in my bed"
  37. Hillsong United – Oceans Phew this song saved my life once or twice because life sucks and this song turns that around!
  38. Tiesto and Busta – C’mon
  39. Aqualung – Strange and Beautiful
  40. Coldplay – Swallowed in the Sea For some reason I'm reminded of getting a Starbucks in Laguna Beach in October 2005.
  41. Beach Boys - I get around
  42. REM – Let me in Another summer lover of mine left back home without "letting me in". However, I love to think back to this guy, still one of the best guys I ever met and another one I didn't marry because he was too far away
  43. Kings of Leon – Closer
  44. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Road Trippin’
  45. U96 - Heaven
  46. Ich & Ich – So soll es bleiben In April 2008 I was driving home from an awesome party, this song came on and I realized that everything in my life was perfect and should in fact stay like this forever. It didn't but one day I hope I'll feel this song again. 
  47. Adrian Lux - Teenage Crime After I came home from Ibiza I had post-holiday blues to the max. This song was torture!
  48. Incubus – Kiss to send us off
  49. Ben Harper & Jack Johnson – High Tide or Low Tide
  50. Ginuwine – Differences I was 13, crushing on a boy on the bus I'd never talked to. I also spoke no English so had no idea what this song was about, and didn't get the name Ginuwine!

No comments:

Post a Comment