Monday, July 7, 2014

Germany, champions!

It's been tough blogging while the best tournament in the history of sport has been on. I just can't help but to watch almost every game because you just couldn't be too sure this time. Despite my exact picks for the semi-finals coming through (wasn't too sure whether it was going to be Spain or the Netherlands but guess my picks did turn out) I was not sure I'd be right all the time. Not even with my own team. So in 24 hours my hopes could be crushed and my team's would be playing for third place AGAIN. In football you just never know, even if you're the best team in the world. Hence my dilemma...

There shouldn't really be a contest. Brazil is never a crap team but they are not the favorites, I'm so confused as to why they're always being called that. The only huge advantage they have in my eyes is a supportive crowd. Who was even talking about Brazil being a favorite before winning the Confed Cup last year against Spain. Sure, back in the day beating Spain was still a big deal, ever since this tournament it's pretty obvious what most people saw coming for a while: You don't have to be an exceptional team to beat the Spanish. But no, ever since the Maradonnas and Beckenbauers of this world were sure Brazil would take this title.

The last time Germany played Brazil we won 3:2 with an overall better performance. And that wasn't at a tournament. Clearly, we should be confident. The only World Cup game we ever lost to them was the 2002 final in which our captain wasn't playing (ironic, isn't it, Neymar) and Brazil was equipped with legends. Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, who would forget these guys? They were epic! And now? Am I supposed to be scared of Hulk? I might regret saying this tomorrow because obviously there is a pretty good chance this guy will destroy my dreams tomorrow but I just can't be scared of him. Not after everything I've seen in the past month. From nobody in that team...

I don't actually think Neymar's absence will make a difference. Yes, that kid is a menace on the field but when is the last time an individual won a World Cup? You see it in Portugal where arguably the best player in the world right now wasn't even allowed to score until his final seconds at the tournament. however, hopefully it will give our defense some confidence. Thiago Silva not blocking the goal is probably a much bigger advantage. They just can't be scared, then it usually works out alright. This is really the biggest challenge psychologically in a long time because this tournament beforehand was all about Brazil, just as our opponent Spain was the talk of the town at that stage four years ago, and I painfully remember how that went...

So I genuinely believe that Germany should win this game, and the tournament on Sunday and that rationally that would make a lot of sense. The last few years I couldn't see anyone but Germany winning and it still feels foreign to me now. This time it's different and I'm just hoping that's a good thing. Unfortunately it could go as badly as Algeria almost kicking us out in the Group of 16 which could have happened if the Gods were as against us as at this stage 8 years ago when utter luck put Italy in the final and not Germany. I sincerely hope these Gods spare me another of these horrible experiences and I'll be able to sleep easily tomorrow night. And celebrate like crazy on Sunday...

Oh Lord, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment