Wednesday, January 6, 2016

There Is But One Possible New Years Resolution...

I am late to this game but some New Years Resolutions have never been a bad idea. We might never end up doing what we say we would, but good intentions are the first step to any improvement, and my year 2016, like every other year, will be conducted solely to become better; better at Arabic, better at friendships, relationships and communication, better at writing, better at career development and, most importantly, better at being the person I want to be in the "end". And my resolutions show me a little bit more than ever who I want that person to be.

Of course I have many ambitions for 2016 that I truly intend to carry out: this will hopefully be the year I start the career I want to have in a very different way, I want to learn Arabic, brush up my Dutch and French, learn to paint and get into scuba diving. Next to these ambitions that are in no way restricted to just the coming year, I plan to eat less meat, meditate more often, and read more books just for fun. None of these nonchalant resolutions are really going to change my year (or life, for that matter) in a way I want change to happen though. I want real change, the complete overhaul of my life, career and personality, and I will succeed in doing that even if I never learn how to scuba dive.

In reality, the things that are really important to me do not need a resolution. Seven years ago I applied to Scottish university at 6am on January 1, just to symbolize that my 2009 would be starting with the right direction. In 2016, I chose to start my year with the right things in my head (and another application to university) as well, setting the frequency to achievement. Both professionally and personally my heart could not be in a more confident condition, knowing that in each branch of my passion I am following or executing exactly what needs to happen. Once the frequency is set, I just need to wait and see what will be transmitted.

Therefore, good intentions for the new year are always a good thing; our endeavor to improve as people is a beautiful notion. However, progress comes anyways. I had no resolutions last year and still learned more about myself and the world than any other year, making me a much happier person in the long run. I got what I wanted without chasing it. My life improved without resolutions. We do not need to have intentions to strive for perfection because every year we get closer and closer whether we want it or not. Rather than forcing a change on ourselves to live a better life in our own definition, I advise everyone to merely let change in, and the rest will come without asking...

As a result, my only real resolution is to surf the positive waves for as long as I can. I know the day will come where my positive thinking will have exhausted the potential of making a hard life seem easy and I will maybe fall back to old patterns of doubt. The start of the year, however, is not such a time, especially if a year started like mine surrounded by Russia and affection, my two biggest passions. Not all things are perfect, of course, but the conviction to know that they can be eventually is source for all positive thought. I just force myself to believe that the way things are now is the right way, and I am lucky enough to truly believe that even though I might be disappointed. Only the new year can tell, and I'm as ready for it as one could ever be...

No comments:

Post a Comment