Friday, March 7, 2014

Will I get my dream job?

There are many reasons I was too busy to write a blog this week. First my best friend's dog was slowly but surely leaving this world, then Karneval hit town, then I missed sleep for the Oscars, and then, yeah then, I casually took a 10 hour megabus to London to interview for my dream job...

You know how Rory Gilmore always wants to work for the New York Times since the first episode of "Gilmore Girls"? And how Ryan Reynolds marries his boss to stay at his company in "The Proposal"? Yes, that's me with that job, and I would go as far as marry someone to get it. I have been wanting to work there for two years and applied to every opening they have worldwide. I am genuinely a fan. On top of that, I also know I'd be very good at it and have the necessary qualifications so it's not just desire, it's also a reasonable plan. What happened this last week has confirmed to me that it's worth chasing the dream.

So last week I found out I was invited to their last recruitment round: an assessment day in London. I confirmed my attendance right away because even if I don't get the job I knew there was a lot to be learned in that office. If I don't get the job I will slightly regret going because the employees did a fantastic job convincing me I'd be great at the job even more than I thought before and I will be devastated. I couldn't be more excited if I tried, it's kinda sad actually!However, as a rookie in Public Relations getting this close to being hired by my favorite company will no doubt fuel my career ambitions in the field. If nothing else, the assessment day already did that big time.

I don't need to go into detail over why this job is perfect. Everybody in attendance thought so, I'm sure. For me personally, however, it was much more than the exciting work that is done there and the fancy office. I arrived 30 minutes early (as you do as a German) and got to take a look around. The employees all had a certain character about themselves. This character usually attracts me to talk to people. I am always very keen to talk to interesting people but there are few around in my town. All of these people coming in looked like they would maintain a good conversation, not just because they have exciting stories to tell working in this office. They are people I would try to befriend. This might not be necessary for my professional performance but my personal happiness. Bummer, another thing that rocks about a job I don't have yet...

Essentially the office was one massive room which held all employees. It reminded me of my favorite place in the world: the Library! I have never been more productive than in Dundee Uni Library so I can only imagine that I would strive in that kind of work environment. The reason I abandoned my PhD plans was that I did not want to sit in a room by myself for five years, working on something alone, creating a piece of work that will be relevant to about a hundred people in the world. Next thing I know is I walk into this office where people interact creatively, learning from and helping each other, producing an outcome that touches hundreds, thousands, and sometimes millions of people. Couldn't have found a scenario which made quitting education more worthwhile...

From the first minute I entered the assessment day I felt like the job was created for me, not the other way around. Of course the company picks who fits best but from my personal point of view it's hard to accept that there could be someone who fits better. I might not have the most experience in PR out of the candidates but I know myself, and I know my potential to work when I feel passionate about something. Everything that was raised an employee should bring to the table I know I had. The office and people naturally appealed to me. I'd be required to do research, write and talk to people which I essentially have a degree in. Christ, "Research" is part of my official title if I was so desperate as to use my degree titles in my name. Most importantly though, I feel that passion. I don't have the knowledge the recruitment personnel has and I didn't see the competition properly but I'm scared my true potential didn't shine through because I know I have it.

I like to compare. I compared coming to Scotland to finding a potential husband in my earlier post, and this job inspired a similar comparison. No woman sees a man and knows this is the man she's going to marry. However, in the first few minutes she can tell if there is a possibility of falling in love with this person one day. Walking into this office I saw a potential I didn't see in any other job interview to completely fall head over heels in love with the job. I can see myself suffering for the job because I love it so much. I can see myself not sleeping because I think about the job. And I can also see myself sticking with the job until the very end. This is what you look for in a man/job. I know I'm already very blessed to know this about myself although there is still the chance I will lose it again but I suppose it's no different in love. Should the job decide to accept my proposal, however, I see a fantastic life ahead for us...

Gosh, if I don't get hired this will become a very, very sad and pathetic post haha....



No comments:

Post a Comment