Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Seems like "The Walking Dead" ain't Rick Grimes problem no more...

As I elaborated widely in my last Zombie blog I am obsessed with zombies. Naturally, I’ve never missed an episode of the Walking Dead. Last week I read blogs speculating on what people think would happen in the series finale. It was widely accepted that Terminus was not going to be a shelter because that would kind of imply the show reached a happy end and is over. After past seasons numerous deaths were expected instead. Many were hoping for Beth to show up somewhere. As this show has recently crossed a bunch of borders the suggestions were ranging from gross to absurd. One of those theories that were dismissed by many as “amc wouldn’t possibly cross THAT line” was the whole cannibalism thing. “That’s way too much”, they said although the graphic novels on which the show is based feature just that. After this horrendously slow season I wasn’t expecting many fireworks. Too many people are dead already so I wasn’t counting on a spectacular killing. But boy, I wasn’t expecting this finale. That we actually meet some freaking cannibals at Terminus blew even my mind…
Despite a blogger I read Monday morning after the finale claiming that cannibalism might be a tad too much to be expected after the Zombie Apocalypse I whole-heartedly disagree. I think it’s rather likely that people would exploit other people’s basic instinct for security and make them come to them instead of chasing them around a world in which they could die anytime themselves. After surviving the Zombie Apocalypse I also think many people would be willing to eat other people in order to survive. I had a hunch they were going through with the cannibalism story when Glenn and his group arrived at Terminus and they just found one single chick barbequing. Of course that’s horribly disgusting but have you seen this show? This is a primetime TV show that centers on decaying predators eating people alive, and we’re shocked when some of the survivors who must be insane at this point if they’re still alive are cannibals? I’m pretty sure in this new world people and zombies would end up having more in common as time goes by.
 
Of course our friends at Terminus aren’t the only predators. Welcome back, Rick “Badass” Grimes. Rick showed some passion for the zombie ways when he killed that man… with his mouth. Shane’s zombie self couldn’t have done that better. Talk about humans trying to copy the zombies. How do you escape a situation like the one Rick, Michonne, Daryl and Carl found themselves in when they were at gunpoint of that redneck group wanting to kill and rape them? Exactly, you ditch the idea of being a farmer, not carrying a weapon, trying to be civilized, and welcome back the animal that’s inside of you. That animal slayed those boys. That animal is Rick Grimes.  Now I knew Rick and them would escape that situation but I was curious to see how. There was no realistic way for any of them to survive but they did because Rick became vicious again. Daryl then reassured Rick that the animal is not him. But no, Daryl, it is Rick, and he’s accepted that you have to be an animal to survive this freak show.
 
After escaping that situation I’m now excited to see how the animal will get out of the situation he’s in now. There have been too many situations to count in which Rick Grimes crossed the line to certain death and he’s still running around killing people. After this impressive success rate in cheating death and getting away with his life the Terminus scenario wouldn’t scare me anymore either. Rick must know that he’s obviously not supposed to die after surviving all that shit. When he says his group is the wrong one to mess with the man knows what he’s talking about. He just chewed the throat of a guy that pointed his gun in his face directly and doesn’t have a scratch. He survived Shane, Meryl and the Governor. Clearly God wants him alive! What harm can a few cannibals do? And of course Carol aka the Slayer of Georgia is still out there and will no doubt welcome the opportunity to make some more heads roll.

The only thing making me nervous is that almost every annoying person has died already. Of course we also had to say bye to Hershel and Dale but thankfully Shane, Lorie, Andrea and the Governor bit the dust as well. Now I’m terrified for Daryl and Glenn whose death would be particularly hard to accept. I also want to see Carol survive because all that character development would be a waste to just go out like that. For some reason that only leaves Maggie but since she’s a total babe I’d also hate to see her die. The others are somewhat expendable. Someone’s gotta die, and I’d prefer it if it was them. I suppose only time will tell. And until October that is quite a lot of it…

No comments:

Post a Comment